ART Costing Tool Crosswalk: SIMCLIN
- Relevant national or local data that have been published online or in journals, presented in scientific meetings, or gathered by country program staff is collected and used as default settings in the model.
- To the extent that they are available, local data can be used to refine the default inputs.
Simulates the natural history of patients in care or on treatment, tabulating resource utilization on a daily basis. There is also a more focused tool for making national-level ARV forecasts (GLOPRO—a set of inputs for 21 countries for ARV volume and distribution).
- What is the impact of alternative policies for resource allocation to provide the most effective treatment and quality care?
- What is the impact of ART initiation or scale-up on clinic capacity or resource requirements?
- What are the resource needs for a program?
- What is the patient capacity of a program?
- What is the impact of changes to treatment protocols on resource needs or patient capacity?
ART (first line and second line), TB, pregnancy, toxicity, laboratory test, and human resources
- Number of patients enrolled, alive, lost to follow-up, on ARVs, and in care
- Resources required to provide care and treatment for the enrolled patients, amount of ARVs required for each formulation/dose
- Number of laboratory tests required: cluster of differentiation 4 cell count/percent, full blood count or hemoglobin, full chemistry or liver function tests, viral load, and DNA polymerase chain reaction by month
- Number of health workers in each category (physician, nurse, counselor, phlebotomist, pharmacist, laboratory technician, clerk)
- Narrow focus on ART services
- Does not include costs of related interventions (e.g., inpatient care, counseling and testing, PMTCT [except as it relates to women already on ART]).
- A fairly complex model, which is not easy to learn and use. Making changes is difficult. Not a lot of people understand SAS. Some users question a model that they can not understand. There are several hundreds of pages of code.
- Not publicly available